We started our 2 week vacation down in Scottsdale. Matt had some classes he went to, and he was also in the color guard for the event. I'll post the movie of that later.
Scottsdale was nice and warm, we all wore shorts and sandals.(Ahh that was a nice memory to take with me to freezing cold Idaho)
While Matt was in classes, I packed the kids up and headed for the mall to do some much needed shopping. We also swam at the pool and ordered from the hotel restaurant. The 4th Street Grill at the Chaparral is one of my favorites now. They have the best food. Truly.
On Sunday after Matt's Pharmacy Law class we hit the road for Idaho. It was noon when we left, and Matt was convinced we were going to travel the entire way. The I-17 up through Flagstaff and into Southern Utah had major traffic delays, so we decided to head over through Las Vegas and on up I-15. By the time we hit St. George at 7pm, I was all but crying to be released from the torturous car ride, but Matt would have none of that. We arrived in Grace, Idaho at 3:30 am, pulled the kids out of the car and got them settled back into bed at 4:30am. Two hours after my head hit the pillow there were 2 wide eyed and bushy tailed boys staring at me wondering what was for breakfast.
We stayed at Matt's parent's house for the week. They were just finishing up the new addition onto their house and it was a little hectic to get all the minor details completed before the inspector came that week.
On Thursday night Matt head for his yearly pilgrimage to Jackson Hole for the antler hunt. This year Tom, Tyler, Fowler, all made it and for his first time, Jason, Heather's husband went. Matt came home Saturday evening, victorious with 7 new antlers to display, and a trail of 4 other scowling men. (Mostly due to Matt's most unsportsman like conduct of rubbing it in their faces that he was the only one who found antlers.)
By this time the kids and I had made it to Idaho Falls. While in IF we had our fill of our favorite take out food, took Bennett, Jacks, and Ethan swimming at the hot pools at Heise, and did a little more shopping.
Our time up in Idaho was great. Relaxing, and fun. We miss our families so much and wish we could be closer.
Sunday we got up and what should have been an 8 hour car ride turned into a 13 hour ride of terror. Actually it wasn't so bad. Just long. Just out side of Flagstaff the I-40 was shut down due to the enourmously strong winds and so we sat...on the side of the interstate...with 50 bazillion other vehicles...for 2 1/2 hours. That part was torture. We only had an 1 1/2 hours left and we were stuck...Yuck!
We made it home safe and sound and are expected to redue the trip in 3 weeks. I can't say I'm looking forward to that. Pray that I can find really, super, cheat airline tickets to save me from misery.
2 comments:
OH dear...I am praying you find cheap airline tix. I feel your pain. We went to phoenix in March w/ our two kids and a 10 hr drive was 12 hrs down and 14 hrs back. (stopping every 2 hrs to feed a new baby) blah....tooooo long. Actually even an expensive plane ticket might be worth it, at least that is how I feel about car rides now :) it is just soooo long. can't wait to see you and your cute family :)
I don't know how you guys make it up here as often as you do. And yes a few months apart seems often with that car ride!! We've only been down and back once with the kids. But even with just Tyler and I down and back I wanted to KILL him. You are a brave woman and I salute you ;)
Post a Comment