Thursday, January 5, 2017

Nyack, New York








Matt and I, along with Heather, Jason, Michelle, Rob, and Mom, all flew out to New York for Grandma Betty's funeral. We took a really late flight from Salt Lake City, arriving in Nyack very early in the morning. We had just enough time to drop our stuff off at the hotel and freshen up before heading to the church. 
Uncle Bill, before he passed away, had arranged most everything. Grandmas funeral was held in a Catholic Church that was officiate by a deacon and a priest. The whole serve to me seemed very impersonal. In fact the priest was of a different ethnicity, maybe from India, and had an accent. He kept calling Grandma Betty by her full name and pronounced it terribly. It sounded much like "Betti Bee-ahch-trus". (Almost like a bad word) Although it was sad in a way, it also made me giggle, along with the rest of the family. 
I had a somewhat strange (inspiring) vision while sitting in the funeral. Matt and I were sitting in the pew behind Heather, Jason, and my mom. Michelle and Rob in the pew in front of them. Aunt Robin, Krysti, and Bob were behind us. At some point, in my minds eye, I could clearly see my Dad sitting next to my mom, with his arm rest on the pew behind her. I could see Grandma and Grandpa sitting next to Michelle and Rob and I could even feel Uncle Bill behind with Krysti and Robin. I could feel the completeness of the family and the joy of Grandma, Grandpa, dad, and Uncle Bill at being surrounded by family. This was clear and crisp to me. It made with cry with happiness and sadness at the same time. There have been a couple other times when I have felt this kind of nearness. It was after my dad's viewing. I had sat down in the very quiet house. I think most everyone was in their room for some quiet solitude. I closed my eyes briefly and as real as could be, my dad wrapped his arms around me and told me he loved me. These incidences have strengthened my testimony of God's eternal plan. Families are forever and the veil is thinner than we think, or feel at times. 
After the service we drive to the cemetery. It was beautiful! The cemetery is set on a hill that overlooks the Hudson River. At the gravesite, we asked the priest if we could say a couple of word after he was done. He complied and was very encouraging of it. He said a prayer and threw Holy Water over the grave to dedicate it. After he was done, Rob spoke of the Resurrection and the Atonement and then Matt, with his priesthood authority dedicated the grave again. We closed by listening to a verse of I Am a Child of God. That was Grandma Betty's favorite song. In some ways it was nice, but it had a feeling of being rushed. I wish I would have taken the time to explain why Grandma loved that song. That it represent that she loved God and new she was his child. That she had a testimony of being reunited with her loved ones. I also thought briefly about what the priest though as we dedicated the grave. Because we have the direct line of priesthood authority, I believe that we did the right thing, but there always is the hope of not offending. The priest did pull Rob aside after and thanked us for our involvement and wished he had known that we wanted to be involved more. He said most families don't. 
After the graveside ceremony we wondered around the cemetery looking at headstone. There are a grad number of our ancestors buried there. We found my great-grandfather Michael McNichol and great-grandmother Mary Kennedy. It was also the first time I got to see Grandpa Bill's headstone. I generally don't like looking at headstones because it makes everything seem so final, but it did make feel some connection to them. Seeing that they actually existed and their headstones were proof. 
After we left the cemetery we all met up at a small restaurant where we could chat and catch up. Krysti and Bob came with Aunt Robin. A best friend (Hugie) of Uncle Bill growing up and his wife came. A woman who had know Grandma and worked with came. At the funeral a woman who was a distant relative came. It was nice to know people were there who remembered grandma fondly. 
After lunch we decided to drive around Nyack. It was our first time there. We were able to see the house my dad grew up in on Dogwood Lane. We saw the high school which was still there. Although it was a whirlwind day, it was a peaceful day knowing that families can be reunited, that there is life beyond the veil, and that we are eternal beings with eternal families. 

No comments: